Two leading psychedelic researchers—Heffter President Dave Nichols and board member Charles Grob—report on the toxicity of LSD
From a physiological perspective, however, LSD is known to be non-toxic and medically safe when taken at standard dosages (50–200 μg).
The scientific literature, along with recent media reports, have unfortunately implicated “LSD toxicity” in five cases of sudden death. On close examination, however, two of these fatalities were associated with ingestion of massive overdoses, two were evidently in individuals with psychological agitation after taking standard doses of LSD who were then placed in maximal physical restraint positions (hogtied) by police, following which they suffered fatal cardiovascular collapse, and one case of extreme hyperthermia leading to death that was likely caused by a drug substituted for LSD with strong effects on central nervous system temperature regulation (e.g. 25i-NBOMe). Given the renewed interest in the therapeutic potential of LSD and other psychedelic drugs, it is important that an accurate understanding be established of the true causes of such fatalities that had been erroneously attributed to LSD toxicity, including massive overdoses, excessive physical restraints, and psychoactive drugs other than LSD.
Original Article (Hefter Research and Science Direct):
Two leading psychedelic researchers—Heffter President Dave Nichols and board member Charles Grob—report on the toxicity of LSD.
Artwork Fair Use: Multidisciplinary Association for Psychedelic Studies